I started this project back in autumn time but work came to a halt due to an injury I suffered at work. However, work recommenced in earnest in Springtime as soon as weather permitted. The pond was originally filled with tap water, left for a couple of weeks before adding oxygenators (native hornwort) with the remainder of the plants added over the last 3 or 4 weeks, as and when they became available.
I have tried to be mindful of adding many native species but could not resist a couple of non natives to grow in the pond. Namely a couple of dwarf waterlilies, Nymphaea laydekeri Fulgens and Pontederia cordata lanceolata, which I hope will thrive.
Already there are many beasties making themselves at home in and around the pond. The birds are loving it and I have found hedgehop poo in the area surrounding the beach end, so hopefully they too are enjoying their new water hole.